Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Roshashana Online Assignment
On Tuesday, September 30th we did not have face-to-face class again but we were assigned an online simulation assignment. The assignment required us to experiment with hanging different weights on three different sized springs. As I hung different sized weights on the springs I noticed different reactions to how fast the springs bounced back. Another aspect of the simulation was being able to change the planet that the experiment was taking place. This showed the different reaction times if the weights and springs were on a certain planet. When I placed a weight on the spring on the moon the reaction time was very slow because there is no gravity as compared to the planet Earth.This experiment also allowed us to try the springs reactions to different times. When I tried moving the spring to 1/4 time the springs reaction time was much slower. There was also a graph that depicted the energy taking place. When the weight was added to the spring, the graph moves up and down with the spring to show the kinetic and potential energy. The potential energy is the highest when the weight is on the spring but it has not been dropped, and the kinetic energy is the highest in the middle of the fall. This was a good assignment to introduce learning about energy and force. Having not known much about either of these aspects of science I felt this assignment really helped to discover the meanings on my own and really understand. I think this simulation allowed, to a point, creativity and discovery.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment